What is the UWSG?
The UWSG is the student government elected by the students of the University of the West. Our office is located in AD125/127. The UWSG is made up of Officers, Representatives, and other members who fill special posts. See their biographies on Who We Are.
Our job is to:
- Represent the student voice to the University administration about things that affect students,
- Fairly distribute student association fee funds to student clubs to use for fun activities, and
- Organize activities and events for students to participate in each semester.
Come to the open Assembly meetings to share your voice! The UWSG meets every week on Monday from noon to 1:00 p.m. in room AD208. All students are welcome to attend. Agendas (what we're going to talk about) will be posted here at least 24 hours before the meeting. Minutes (what we did talk about) will be posted within 72 hours after the meeting.
Who is the UWSG?
Every student is a member of the student association, but some students have specific jobs. They are elected by the student body (you!) or appointed if no one runs for election. They are the UWSA Officers and Representatives. You can learn more about each member personally by going to the Who We Are page.
- Vice President:
- Activities Officer:
- Student Issues Officer:
- Religious Studies
- General Studies
- Buddhist Chaplaincy
- Resident Students
- Monastic Students
- Peer Mentoring Program Coordinator: Stephanie Lyn, MA in Psychology
- Peer Mentoring Program Organizer: Lekdan Takspa, MA in Psychology
- Mission & Identity Committee Student Member: Jacob Lindsley, BA in Psychology
- Administrative Adviser: Vanessa Karam, General Education Coordinator, International Student Services Coordinator, & Accreditation Liaison Officer
In order to get work done quickly, the UWSA has several committees. Committees are groups of students who work on projects outside of the regular Assembly meetings - kind of like doing homework! In addition to coming to the Assembly, any student can help with a committee, even if you're not an elected member.
What is the UWSA Doing Now?
2013 Student Government Election
- President: Benjamin Baron, Buddhist Chaplaincy
- Vice President: Thomas Guwor, Business
- Secretary: Karla Duran, Psychology
- Treasurer: Xiaoxi Wang, Business
- Activities Officer: Dalin Lemuz, Psychology
- Student Issues Officer: Elizabeth Porter, Psychology
- Doctoral Students Delegate: Bin Wu, Religious Studies
- Business Delegate: Ke Shan
- Business Delegate: Yuli "Anny" Shih, Business
- English/ESL Senator: Brittany John Herrera, English
- Psychology Senator: Lorena (write in)
- Chaplaincy Senator: 3 way tie between Karen, Alan Cossitt, and Ven. Anake (all write in)
- Residential Students Delegate: Mandy Shi
- Monastic Students Delegate: Ven. Hong Tran (write in)
- General Studies Senator: Albert Gutierrez, General Studies