What is the UWSG?
The UWSG is the student government elected by the students of the University of the West. Our office is located in AD125/127. The UWSG is made up of Officers, Representatives, and other members who fill special posts. See their biographies on Who We Are.
Our job is to:
- Represent the student voice to the University administration about things that affect students,
- Fairly distribute student association fee funds to student clubs to use for fun activities, and
- Organize activities and events for students to participate in each semester.
Come to the open Assembly meetings to share your voice! The UWSG meets every week on Monday from noon to 1:00 p.m. in room AD208. All students are welcome to attend. Agendas (what we're going to talk about) will be posted here at least 24 hours before the meeting. Minutes (what we did talk about) will be posted within 72 hours after the meeting.
Who is the UWSG?
Every student is a member of the student association, but some students have specific jobs. They are elected by the student body (you!) or appointed if no one runs for election. They are the UWSA Officers and Representatives. You can learn more about each member personally by going to the Who We Are page.
- Vice President
- Public Relations Officer
- Activities Officer
- Student Issues Officer
- Religious Studies
- General Studies
- Buddhist Chaplaincy
- Resident Students
- Monastic Students
- Peer Mentoring Program Coordinator: Stephanie Lynn
- Alumni Association Liaison: Stephanie Lynn
- Administrative Adviser: Vanessa Karam, Student Advisor to the President, International Student Services Coordinator, Accreditation Liaison Officer, and Dean of Student Affairs. (She wears many hats)
- Staff Adviser: Juan Tinoco, Residential Hall Coordinator
- Staff Adviser: April Afoa, Wellness Center
- Staff Adviser: Eddie Escalante, Student Life Coordinator
In order to get work done quickly, the UWSG has several committees. Committees are groups of students who work on projects outside of the regular Assembly meetings - kind of like doing homework! In addition to coming to the Assembly, any student can help with a committee, even if you're not an elected member.
What is the UWSG Doing Now?
2013 Student Government Election
- President: Benjamin Baron, Buddhist Chaplaincy
- Vice President: Thomas Guwor, Business
- Secretary: Yang Chai, Business
- Treasurer: Xiaoxi Wang, Business
- Activities Officer: Dalin Lemuz, Psychology
- Public Relations Officer: Henry Giron, General Education
- Student Issues Officer: Jeff Gilbert, Buddhist Chaplaincy
- Doctoral Students Senator: Bin Wu, Religious Studies
- Business Senator: Vacant
- Business Senator: Vacant
- English/ESL Senator: Vacant
- Psychology Senator: Vacant
- Chaplaincy Senator: Vacant
- Residential Life Senator: Vacant
- Monastic Students Delegate: Ven. Hong Tran, Buddhist Chaplaincy
- General Studies Senator: Albert Gutierrez, General Studies